Thursday, October 3, 2013

The 100-50 Plan: If I announce it on my blog, I have to do it, right?

Anyone who knows me knows that I like to race......a lot.  When I did my first race ever, the 2006 Detroit Free Press Half Marathon, I never dreamed how many races and miles were in my future.  After that one race in 2006 and its sequel in 2007, the race bug bit and wouldn't let go.

Team Rumphshaker after the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon in 2006

In March 2012, I ran the North Carolina Half Marathon.  It was my 50th half marathon and although it was a great race and I had run it with a small group of friends, it was not a race that I had planned to be my 50th.  It just sort of happened.  For my 100th half, I wanted it to be a designated race - a race that I planned on doing to commemorate the milestone and a race that I could celebrate with lots of friends.

Running the 2012 North Carolina Half Marathon with Dana - my 50th half.

As I debated what would be my milestone race so that I could plan accordingly, I started thinking about the races that were the most fun for me.  Although there are numerous races that I would love to do as my 100th, I knew that doing it at a Disney race would insure that I'd have more of my racing buddies around than I would at a non-Disney race.  I then realized that at my current pace, I would be hitting my 100th half marathon fairly close to my 50th full marathon.  Anyone who is familiar with Disney races can probably predict where my mind went next (especially if you paid attention to the title of this post :) ).

So, here's my official announcement.....my 100th half marathon will be at the 2015 Walt Disney World Half Marathon (est. January 10, 2015) followed the next day by my 50th full marathon at the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon (est. January 11, 2015).  I plan to be competing in the Dopey Challenge (5k Thursday, 10k Friday, Half Saturday, Full Sunday), culminating in achieving my 2 major race milestones.

In order to achieve this, I will have to taper in 2014, which is a good thing.  I want to focus more on my triathlons and speed in 2014 and tapering will allow me to do this.  This also leaves me wiggle room if I am unable to complete some of my currently scheduled 2014 races.

So where am I currently in the 100-50 plan?  As of today, October 3, I have completed 80 half marathons and 32 marathons, leaving me 19 halfs and 17 fulls to complete before January 2014.

Do you have plans for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend in 2015?  Come join me!



No comments: